Thursday, February 11, 2010

Week 3 #2

Generally speaking depending on the group, the functions tend to change on the rules each group has. Norms are expectations regarding behavior patterns for the group as a whole; the particular way we live, as individual, are expected to act in a group is our role. (pg.49) This tells us that each member of the group has some type of responsibility that brings the group together. For example, one person in the group could be funny, the other cocky and so forth… Regardless of presence, each member brings a characteristic to the group that makes them unique. Hare (1994) states that a role is associated with the position and status of a member in a group and implies the rights and duties of the member toward one or more other group members. (pg.49) In general, group members work to foster the favorable impressions of themselves to obtain relations with other group members. For example, when I am around my friends I am always goofy and funny because that’s the type of characteristic I bring to the group. My role in the group doesn’t change or get look at different unless the demeanor of the attitude changes. Yet, I haven’t experience a violation of the norms because I react after the first warnings I receive. For instance, if I am late to class the teacher will discuss how I shouldn’t be late to class because I’m missing out on class participation. This then gives me the hint that I should not be tardy anymore to class or suffer the consequences. Overall, norms function different between the cultural environment they are adapted to or knowledgeable about. Each member brings different characteristics to the table, which makes their role different in the group’s eyes.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Casper, your post is really informative and I really like your examples. In most groups, there would be the outgoing person, calm leader, and a shy individual. I like how there is always a person who lightens the mood with his/her jokes. There is also the person who brings everyone back to topic whenever the group goes off tangent. It is better to balance things out, rather than going on a straight path by only talking about the project. People with different personalities bring out a unique quality, and makes the group even more successful.
    My goal in a group is to establish a solid cohesion with other members. I don't want to hold any negative feelings toward anyone. Most people’s objective in small groups is to work well together without any conflict. I agree with you that it an important aspect of group norms is making an effort not to be late. I don’t like to be late to class as it disrupts the class, and there is the possibility of being scolded by the professor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with Ari, small groups are determined by the different roles that everyone in the group take on. But these roles form out of our personality naturally. It brings the group together definitely, and makes for interesting interactions. Also to add, i believe group roles are depended on by members in the group. If a group member who has the role of the leader, and during a group meeting doesn't act like a leader for whatever personal reasons this may bring the group down, and cause issues. Hopefully the group has an alternate leader in their group, like the VP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To also add, the group members may have to establish new roles for the group members if the resent leader cannot fulfill the present tasks. Groups often deal with these issues, they seem minor, but if the group doesn't have another group member with a leadership personality the group may suffer.

    ReplyDelete