Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Week 9 #1

Memory: Retaining and Responding to the Message talks about to terms of memory which is “Short Term memory and Long Term memory. In hearing this makes me think of the times my parents would tell me strategies or give me suggestion that will help me in the future. However, while my parents were trying to tell me these things as a child I didn’t see them as an importance because I was doing things because I wanted to be a kid and get into some trouble. Nevertheless, although some of the knowledge I didn’t keep in my short term memory at the time, however, came in handy in the long run when a situation occurred and I remember what my parents told me while I was younger to help me out. Although, my parents did teach me concepts and reason for things, it didn’t take me until I was older to realize what they said was helpful and beneficial. I felt this was difficult because we tend to think our parents just nag us and what they say is irrelevant because we do not want to hear their suggestions, but as our parents keep saying the message and instilling it in our head we tend to thank them when it helps out in the long run. Overall I try to hear everybody suggestion and comments out just to instill different ways to handle different situations in my life.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, there are many things our parents have taught us that have stayed as long term memories. Some things we use on a day to day basis other things we use when the time is right, or a certain situation occurs where we instantly remember what our parents said. It is a very useful tool to have; memory. Short term or long term it gets us through life. I always think of short term memory as memorizing flash cards for a test, you most likely will not remember those terms ten years from now. But somehow an experience you had as a child and a parent giving you vital information about the particular experience tends to stay with us as a long term memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post on short term and long term memory is interesting and I can relate to both in different ways. I find myself having short term memory lately unless I write notes down. I’m not sure if it’s because my schedule is hectic or I forget things easily, but unless I write a note to remind me of what I have to do, I will not remember. Calendars are amazing for this purpose because you can write out your schedule and when you can’t remember what you did yesterday like me, I can flip to the date and remember easily. As for my long term, I think I retained most of my childhood memories and events that are important to me because they are hard to forget (graduation, being a godparent, deaths).

    ReplyDelete