Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Week 9 #2

Selective Attentive is choosing one message over another. (p.131) Following this forward I can think of many examples where I felt selective attention has played an effect in my life. On example that selective attention happens is when I’m watch television and someone is talking to me. Although, I was listening to my partner telling me something I just couldn’t keep what he was saying in my mind because the television episode was more interesting to me. In my sense Selective Attention states “some things are more important than others” which is the reason why I felt my partner conversation wasn’t interesting because I was tune into something else. On the other hand, one way I overcame my obstacle of selective attention was when I knew someone wanted to communicate with me I would mute the television so I won’t get caught up in what the television is saying. In doing this I realized that I could finish my conversation with complete clarity of the topic and still had time to finish my episodes on the television.

1 comment:

  1. Casper,

    I agree with you that if the conversation does not appeal to us, then we will not pay attention. I think everyone has had the problem of selective attention. Your example with the television really hit home. I have been in the same situation where the new episode of a show I liked was on, and I did not care what the other person had to say. Solving that problem can be difficult. You want to listen to the person talk, but at the same time, the episode is new. I think the solution is to listen to what the person says, and determine if it is important. If not, then crank up the television.

    Henry

    ReplyDelete