Monday, May 10, 2010

Week 16 #2

Hey classmates and fellow bloggers that in doing my observation outside group project I learned so much that we do in small groups that we have no idea is happening without observing it from the outside. The group I choose was the Residencies Hall Association known as the RHA that works on campus to build a community for the fellow students on campus. Their usefulness on campus is to provide programs and activities for the fellow students to get involve in their campus and meet new friends along the way. While observing this group I learned that it is built up of different diversities and cultural views. Each member was from a different cultural form but all had one objective in their heads which was to build a community for the students. On the other hand, each member of the group all had equal amount of responsibility was held accountable for, yet these members were all leaders in some way, it was clear who was in charge of the meetings and the overall program itself. I was interest in doing this project because it just helped me look at small groups in a different way. Although we may be a part of our own small groups, we tend to overlook our tendencies and actions because we cannot see what we are really doing. By observing this group I learned how norms of social groups interact and how people voice their opinions and hold back what they say based off of gender and race. This project help me conclude a lot and understand that everything we do in small groups whether its non-verbal or verbal all have actions that can be described in a simple concept. I observed the group I did because we are all part of a college society and wanting to move to the next step of adult hood, but why not network along because some of your peers can help you also through your journey. We are all different in such a way but similar because we all want to accomplish great things and succeed. This project was fun an exciting I learned new things each time.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Casper, I agree with you that a person does not know what they are really doing in a small group. The groups themselves do not concentrate on their verbal or nonverbal skills. Everyone has the same goal in getting a great result in the grand scheme of things. By observing an outside group, an individual will understand specific details they did not know previously. They will find out about how group members communication nonverbally. There might be certain things they will learn in order to be successful as a group. From acknowledging diversity, a person becomes aware that a difference of opinion is beneficial in the long term. I notice that I find out more about other members from his/her suggestions based on the particular culture’s ideologies. As a result, the group becomes well versed on particular subjects brought up by fellow members.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Casper,

    I totally agree with you that if we don’t really sit down and observe a group from a distance, it is hard for us to apply the concepts we learn to real life. I like the fact you can observe your group in term of diversity and cultural views, because there isn’t much of diversity and intercultural interaction in my group. Gender, race, status and all other diversity aspects in your group sounds very interesting. I especially like the fact that we get to use the concepts during the observation because usually these aren’t something we pay attention to. I feel you picked a good group to observe because it got all the elements of a small group communication.

    -Sogo

    ReplyDelete