Sunday, April 18, 2010

Week 13 # 2

Cultural barriers include a requirement for conformity, an expectation of practicality and efficiency, particular arenas for competition or cooperation, an expectation of politeness and following rules for social order, a reliance on statistical proofs, a dependence on generalizations, a trust in the power of reason and logic, a belief in an either/ or perspective on issues, and a reliance on expert knowledge. (pg 188) With that said cultural barriers are all around us especially within are ethnicity and group norms we establish. I say this because within the African American ethnicity we tend to have certain slang terminology that is fit for a particular group. Following this further, when a member that isn’t a part of the group norm tend to get overlooked or not recognize because they don’t get accepted due to their culture. Besides that, cultural barriers have played an effect on creativity because of group norms that involves negativity in doing new things. For example, when a group member suggests an idea to the group and member says that impossible or that will not work shows that they are jealous because they couldn’t come up with an idea that they group sees as an interest. Additionally, cultural barriers play an effect in how we judge an individual and there standards. When meeting a new member we have to come off as cool a polite just to get in good with the individual we trying to meet, nevertheless, we have follow their boundaries and concepts before we can express our own ideas and rules. Personally I have experience a cultural norm especially when dealing with barriers in a work force with different ethnicities in a diverse group of people. Therefore, when I suggest ideas or give my opinion I am judge based on my cultural ethnicity because my ideas maybe different or outside the box from someone of a different race. Clearly, then I feel like I was in a competition for ideas and social order because I couldn’t get my idea past without them basing my opinion of my ethnicity. Nevertheless I had to overcome this by introducing myself and presenting myself beyond my cultural boundaries and showing that my ideas are in a creative response and can handle challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment